|Other Terms :||anaemia|
Deficiency of one, or a combination of nutrients can contribute to anemia. Dietary elements that are important for anemia are tabled below, together with corresponding lists of food for anemia prevention.
What nutrient deficiencies can lead to anemia :
|DIETARY ELEMENT | DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS | FOODS|
|Choline | More on Choline
Deficiency of choline can cause anemia symptoms. Causes anemia arising from lack of red blood cell formation, as a cell membrane component, phosphatidylcholine, needs choline for its production.
Choline rich food for anemia diet
· lecithin (usually derived from soybeans) · soybeans and soybean products · egg (fresh, not powdered) · wheat germ.
|Folic Acid | More on Folic Acid
Deficiency of folic acid leads to anemia. Symptoms / causes :
High Folic Acid food for anemia diet
· organ meat like animal liver or kidney · legumes (peas and dried beans such as adzuki beans, black beans, cranberry beans, chickpeas or garbanzo beans, dal, kidney beans, lentils, mung beans, navy beans, pinto beans) · dark-green leafy vegetables including asparagus, beets, broccoli, collard greens, cauliflower, mustard greens, parsley, romaine lettuce, spinach, turnip greens.
|Vitamin B2(Riboflavin) | More on Vitamin B2
Deficiency of vitamin B2 can lead to anemia. Symptoms / causes :
High Vitamin B2 food for anemia diet
· animal liver · mushroom · spinach.
|Vitamin B6 | More on Vitamin B6
Vitamin B6 deficiency can lead to anemia symptoms. Causes hypochromic microcytic anemia, as vitamin B6 is critical in the formation of healthy red blood cells.
High Vitamin B6 food for anemia diet
· bananas · bell peppers · chick peas · potatoes (baked with skin) · prune juice · raw rice bran · turnip greens · spinach.
|Vitamin B12 | More on Vitamin B12
Deficiency of vitamin B12 can result in anemia. Symptoms / causes :
High Vitamin B12 food for anemia diet
· animal liver · fish like cod, halibut, herring, mackerel, salmon, snapper, trout.
|Vitamin C | More on Vitamin C
Deficiency of vitamin C can give rise to anemia. Symptoms / causes :
High Vitamin C food for anemia diet
· guava · lychees / litchis · papayas · strawberries · vegetables like broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, collards, kale, mustard greens, bell peppers, turnip greens, spinach.
|Vitamin E | More on Vitamin E
Deficiency of vitamin E can result in anemia symptoms. Causes anemia due to loss of red blood cells from oxidative damage.
Vitamin E rich food for anemia diet
· cold-pressed vegetable oils (such as sunflower, soybean, safflower) · wheat germ oil · dark green leafy vegetables such as chard, mustard greens, spinach, turnip greens.
|Copper | More on Copper
Deficiency of copper can lead to anemia. Symptoms / causes :
Copper rich food for anemia diet
· cashew nuts · dried beans like soybeans, adzuki beans, garbanzo beans (chickpeas), lentils, lima, navy beans · dried spirulina · crimini mushrooms · shiitake mushrooms · sesame seeds.
|Iron | More on Iron
Deficiency of iron can result in anemia. Symptoms / causes :
anemia resulting from insufficient red blood cells, as iron is needed for formation of hemoglobin in blood cells; iron deficiency anemia symptoms may include pale skin, cold hands and feet, whites of eyes appearing bluish, headaches, dizziness, irritability, lack of energy, extreme fatigue, rapid heartbeat, low immune function with increased susceptibility to infection, brittle nails, shortness of breath, sore or inflamed tongue or mouth, lack of appetite, blood in stools, restless legs syndrome.
Iron rich foods for anemia diet
· animal liver · blackstrap molasses · beef · eggs (especially the yolk) · shiitake mushrooms · dark green leafy vegetables like spinach, mustard greens, romaine lettuce, swiss chard, turnip greens · green beans such as winged beans, string beans · dried beans like kidney beans, lentils · soybeans and soy products, especially tofu · rice bran and wheat bran.
|Manganese | More on Manganese
Deficiency of manganese can lead to anemia. Symptoms / causes :
High manganese food for anemia diet
· dark green leafy vegetables (broccoli, chard, collard greens, kale, mustard greens, romaine lettuce, spinach) · avocados · pineapple · raspberries · nuts (almonds, peanuts, pecans, walnuts).
|Phosphorus | More on Phosphorus
Deficiency of phosphorus can cause anemia.
Phosphorus rich food for anemia diet
· cheese · milk · meat · legumes (adzuki beans, chickpeas or garbanzo beans, yellow beans, lentils) · whole grains (wheat, oats, millet, quinoa, brown rice, corn, rye).
Caution: The above is provided for information only. Any diagnosis should be confirmed by a blood test. Do not self-diagnose. Also, to avoid toxicity do not take supplements for anemia in large doses except under medical advice.
« Back to Health Supplements Nutritional Guide Home page